If you're looking for a day out or mini break with the whole family then Preston is your stop. The city offers everything you need to entertain all ages, thanks to a cool mix of family-friendly activities and things to do. Days out include fabulous green spaces to explore as well as indoor fun, making Preston the obvious choice.
For more ideas of things to do in Preston see our Visit Preston Blog.
- Ribble Steam Railway and Museum
- Preston Docks
- Ashton Park
- Bowland Wild Boar Park
- Turbary Woods Owl and Bird of Prey
- Laser Quest Preston
- Escape Reality
- Red Rose Bowl
- Vue Cinema
- Odeon Cinema
- Level Entertainment Complex
- The Flower Bowl Entertainment Centre
Start the day with a trip to one of Preston's family-friendly museums, the Ribble Steam Railway and Museum. Here you can hop aboard a steam train, taking you along the tracks around Preston Docks, and delve into Preston's industrial dock and rail heritage in a fun and family-friendly environment. Make sure to head inside and view the museum's collection of old engines and locomotives, and make a pit-stop at their café and play area.
Nearby, you will find Preston Docks, perfect for a short stroll in the fresh air to get everyone ready for the day. Ashton Park is also just a short stroll away, home to a large children's play area and lots of green space to enjoy together.
For afternoon fun, grab your explorer hat and head to Brockholes to visit the iconic floating village and impressive 250 acre Nature Reserve. Set amongst ancient woodland, where you can watch and learn about wildlife at close quarters, Brockholes brings nature reserves well and truly into the 21st Century. The reserve is even host to a variety of cool weekend events and activities, making it even easier to spend some quality hours together as a family.
After all that stomping about, treat yourself to a well deserved break in unique style at the floating café, complete with homemade cakes and delicious ice cream. There are even takeaway picnic bags so you can enjoy your lunch at one of the reserve's many fine picnic spots - a great option for those warm sunny days!
Still got more time to squeeze into your day? Then continue the nature theme by paying a visit to either Bowland Wild Boar Park or Turbary Woods Owl and Bird of Prey. Both attractions offer a fantastic experience for animal lovers of all ages.
Alternatively, for rainy day options, head back to the city for a choice of family-friendly activities. There are adrenaline-packed options, such as Laser Quest Preston and Escape Reality, and chilled-out affairs in the form of bowling at Red Rose Bowl, or a trip to the Vue cinema or Odeon cinema.
Carry on the fun into the evening with Level, an exciting entertainment complex offering delicious pre-show food and high-adrenaline fun. The complex offers great experiences that can transform from day to night. Battle through a game of laser tag or opt for a quirky game of crazy golf.
Alternatively, you can pay The Flower Bowl Entertainment Centre a visit, home to restaurants, a cinema, crazy golf, bowling, and curling.
Map address points for Family-friendly itinerary
- Ribble Steam Railway, Chain Caul Road, Preston, PR2 2PD.
- Preston Docklands, Mariners Way, PR2 2YN.
- Ashton Park, Pedders Lane, Ashton, Preston, PR2 1HL.
- Brockholes, Preston New Road, Preston PR5 0AG.
- Bowland Wild Boar Park, Chipping, Preston, PR3 2QT.
- Turbary Woods Owl and Bird of Prey Sanctuary, Turbary Woods, 92 Chain House Lane, Whitestake, Preston, PR4 4LB.
- Laser Quest Preston, Unit 1B, Aqueduct Mill, Aqueduct Street, Preston, PR1 7JN.
- Escape Reality, 1 Aqueduct Mill Industrial Park, Aqueduct Street, Preston, PR1 7JN.
- Red Rose Bowl, 50 Greenbank Street, Preston, PR1 7PH.
- Vue Preston, The Capitol Centre, London Way, Walton-Le-Dale, Preston, PR5 4AW.
- Odeon Preston, Riversway, Preston, PR2 2YQ.
- Level, Lancaster Road, Preston, PR1 1HT.
- The Flower Bowl Entertainment Centre, Garstang Road, Preston, PR3 0BT.