Itinerary - Dog Friendly Preston
Grab your furry friend for a pawfect day out in Preston...
You will be surprised at how many dog-friendly activities and venues Preston has to offer. The city has a great selection of dog-friendly activities, cafes, and even accommodation; making it easy to create special memories with your four-legged family member.
All the places listed welcome well-behaved dogs and owners. Please clean up after your dog and keep them on a lead where necessary.
Many of the places listed also have free parking nearby, these parking spots can be seen on the map below.
For more ideas of things to do in Preston see the Visit Preston Blog.
Walks and outdoor spaces
Whether you're looking for a place where your pooch can burn off some energy or a relaxed stroll together, Preston has plenty outdoor spaces to suit your needs. Choose from the following:
- Preston Dock - A circular waterside walk with a well-known pet shop along the route where you can buy your pooch some treats. There is also the Beach Hut Coffee Shop nearby where dogs are allowed into certain areas of the cafe and outdoor seating on sunny days is available.
- Beacon Fell - This country park features many different trails, taking you and your dog through woodland, around sculptures, and to the summit.
- Lancashire Cheese Walk - This walk starts at The Green Man - a popular dog-friendly pub - and explores the Lancashire milk fields. The route is a gentle 6 mile walk and is suitable for dogs who are well-behaved around livestock. For details on the Green Man pub visit The Green Man at Inglewhite.
- Self-Guided Walks - You can explore Preston's history and heritage on one of these many city walks. With many dog-friendly places to eat and drink nearby, on top of a number of parks featured in the walks, there's no excuse not to bring your dog along with you.
Parks and gardens
- Avenham & Miller Parks - These conjoined parks make a spacious and versatile place for you and your dog to burn off some energy or enjoy a picturesque stroll. Avenham Park is home to The Pavilion Cafe, sat alongside the River Ribble and providing a peaceful spot to enjoy a bite to eat, a drink or an ice cream with your dog; both inside and outside. You will also find The Continental on the edge of the park, welcoming dogs inside and outside whilst you enjoy a refreshing drink or a tasty meal.
- Moor Park - Moor Park provides vast green space, suitable for a good old fashioned game of fetch. The large park features different paths and plenty open areas as well as the Rosemary on the Park cafe - a dog-friendly cafe with doggy treats and plenty four-legged regular visitors.
- Winckley Square Gardens - If you're heading to the city centre then Winckley Square Gardens deliver a peaceful area of green space, with Avenham & Miller Parks and dog-friendly cafes and pubs nearby.
- Haslam Park - Haslam Park is a spacious park that keeps giving. There are many routes for you and your dog to explore as well as a stroll alongside the canal, perfect for a day out in the fresh air.
- Ashton Park - This park's large green spaces make the ideal place for you and your dog to get some exercise. The park's history and peace gardens make it a great day out for humans and four-legged friends.
- Grange Park - Grange Park allows you to soak up some history and stroll around the gardens whilst getting you and your dog out and about for some fresh air.
If you're looking for something to do in your spare time then why not take your dog with you? Enjoy a dog-friendly day out together at one of the following:
- Ribble Steam Railway - Take your pooch for a ride on a steam train and admire the exhibits. Dogs are welcome in all areas at the museum except the cafe.
- Bowland Wild Boar Park - Enjoy getting up close with a variety of wild animals. Well-behaved dogs on their lead are welcome to come along with you and enjoy all the attraction has to offer.
- Samlesbury Hall - Samlesbury Hall allow dogs in their grounds and their outdoor cafe area, allowing you to explore the hall's grand architecture and its attractions. The venue also hosts a relaxed and fun annual dog show every May.
- Duxburys Garden Centre - If you're looking to fit in a spot of shopping then Duxburys Home and Garden centre is the perfect place to visit with your pooch. There's even a restaurant and lounge.
Eat and drink
Enjoy a casual drink, a bite to eat, or a meal at one of the following dog-friendly places:
- The Larder - Centrally located, The Larder is the perfect place to share moments with your furry friend, whether for a breakfast, lunch, or a snack.
- Guild Ale House - Located in the city centre, Guild Ale House offers craft beers, ciders, cask ales, and wine.
- Cafuné - This South American cafe is located on Preston's Flag Market. Enjoy a tasty bite to eat, breakfast or lunch, alongside a punchy coffee with your pooch by your side.
- The Black Horse - The Black Horse is a traditional city centre pub in a Victorian setting, serving classic beers, award-winning ales, wines, spirits, and soft drinks.
- 1842 Restaurant and Bar - Don't miss 1842's special Doggy Brunch monthly event where you can enjoy a spot of brunch and cocktails together thanks to their Doggy Menu.
- The Wellington Inn - Located in the city centre, The Wellington Inn is a great place to stop off for a drink or a tasty hearty meal. The pub also includes a comfy beer garden.
- Roper Hall - This relaxed and friendly bar serves tasty and hearty food and includes a comfy beer garden.
- Pavilion Cafe - This dog-friendly cafe sits on Avenham Park, perfect for finishing off a small or big walk with a relaxing drink and some food.
- The Continental - Conveniently located on the edge of Avenham & Miller Parks, The Continental serves a large variety of beers, ciders, ales, and more as well as a seasonal and mouth-watering menu.
- Rosemary on the Park - Located on Moor Park, this delightful cafe is the perfect place for you and your dog to relax after a stroll. The cafe also sell human treats and dog treats as well as hot and cold drinks.
- Ultimate Cafe - The Ultimate Cafe is located at Deepdale Shopping Park. The cafe is perfect for lunches, treats, and refreshing drinks.
- Beer Brothers Brewery - Open Fridays and Saturdays, enjoy some local beers and ales at this unique bar.
If you're visiting Preston from afar, there's a fantastic selection of dog-friendly accommodation to suit all budgets. We recommend calling the hotel prior to booking to make sure they know your four-legged friend is joining you.
Preston city centre
- No.10 Preston - Luxury apartments perfect for a city break.
Accommodation outside the city centre
- Ashton Lodge Guest House - This budget-friendly guest house welcomes dogs, with Ashton Park and Haslam Park nearby as well as easy access to the city centre.
- St Andrews House Hotel - This friendly guest house has easy access to the city centre and is even located within walking distance of Haslam Park and Ashton Park.
- Ibis Preston North - Ibis Preston North are happy to receive you and your dog. The hotel makes a great location for discovering all the city's dog-friendly attractions.
- Macdonald Ticked Trout Hotel - This hotel is surrounded by a large variety of different places to walk your dog with ease as well as easy access to the city centre.
- Bartle Hall Country Hotel - Ideal for exploring the countryside and Preston's attractions, Bartle Hall is happy to let your dog join you in a luxury break.
- Farington Lodge - A luxury hotel to the North of Preston city centre, Farington Lodge offer dog-friendly rooms and extensive gardens. The hotel boasts many walks nearby and even provide a breakfast sausage for four-legged guests.
- Samlesbury Hall Shepherd Huts and Lodge - Ideally located in the grounds of Samlesbury Hall, there's plenty to do around you whilst stopping in one of these cosy huts or lodges.
- Villa Country House Hotel - This hotel makes a great stay for you and your pooch. There are grounds where you can stretch your dog's legs (and yours) as well as many walks nearby and dog-friendly attractions within driving distance.
- The Villa Express - This simple yet stylish hotel and restaurant is a great location for exploring Preston's outskirts with your furry friend.
- Gibbon Bridge Hotel - If you're looking for a spot of luxury then look no further, Gibbon Bridge Hotel offers dog-friendly rooms surrounded by beautiful countryside where your pooch can stretch its legs.
Campsites and holiday parks
- Beacon Fell View Holiday Park - Hire one of these static caravans, complete with stunning views and plenty outdoors to explore.
- Donkey Creek Farm - For those travelling in their own caravan, this site has top-of-the-range facilities and is ideally located, with many walks and outdoors to explore with your dog.
- Mowbreck Caravan Park - On the outskirts of Preston, this caravan park offers special dog-friendly caravans.
- Ribby Hall Village - Ribby Hall Village offers dog-friendly cottages, with grounds and easy access to Preston and surrounding countryside areas.
- Stanley Villa Farm Camping - Located on the outskirts of Preston, this pod campsite is perfect for an outdoor adventure and exploring Preston and further afield.
- Smithy Farm Camping - This campsite is great for those looking for a fuss-free break with their pooch.
- Poplar Grove Farm - This caravan park is suitable for those bringing their own caravan or those wishing to stay in one of the farm's unique shepherd huts or camping pods.