The Guild Mayor
A high honour, the role of the Guild Mayor is one of public prominence and dignity
The Guild Mayor is required to:
- Preside over ceremonial occasions
- Sign Guild proclamations and other official documents
- Be present at public events and walk in processions
- Receive and entertain distinguished visitors
During a Guild year, the demands on a Guild Mayor’s time are even greater, everyone wants the Mayor to attend their special event. As such, during the core Guild 10 days, he or she will need a great deal of stamina.
The Guild Mayor for 2012 was Councillor Carl Crompton. To view all recorded Guild Mayors, from 1327 to present, see the document titled 'Past Mayors - 1327 to present' in the documents section.
Mayor of Preston
In a normal year, the Mayor of Preston has two main roles:
- Chair the meetings of the Council (held at the Town Hall)
- Act as the city's First Citizen (to be the city's civic representative)
He or she will be called upon to meet important visitors to the city, attend specific events and open new schools, businesses, health centres etc... The list of engagements for the Mayor is huge with well over 500 in an average year.
A typical day in the life of the Mayor may involve welcoming Royalty in the morning, assisting in a prestigious opening ceremony in the afternoon, then greeting a professional institute at their Annual Dinner in the evening.