Preston City Centre Public Realm Investment
Preston City Centre public realm investment is focused on the delivery of high quality attractive shared spaces for both pedestrians and vehicles...
Preston's new look city centre is now a 'shared space' where pedestrians and vehicles have equal priority with less clutter, more space and no traffic lights.
Work also included the widening of pavements and adding trees to line the high street. This has significantly enhanced the attractiveness of Preston City Centre for everyone and has become a viable location to invest and do business. The improvements have and continue to act as a catalyst for private sector investment, boosting the local economy.
Public realm improvement phases
Completed in 2014, work in the initial phase visually improved the following two key approaches to Preston City Centre:
- From Lune Street on Fishergate through to Preston Railway Station
- Down along Corporation Street to the Friargate junction at Ringway
This phase of works was part funded by ERDF.
Starting at the Lune Street/Winckley Street junction, where phase 1 ended, public realm works continued through to Preston Minster replicating those in phase 1.
Currently underway, this phase focuses on improvements from Fishergate to Preston Bus Station. Improvement areas include:
- Church Street
- Lancaster Road
- Lord Street
- Tithebarn Street
Businesses have reported seeing higher footfall almost immediately after works were completed.
The map below highlights the completed areas of Preston City Centre improvements as part of this scheme.
Map addresses for public realm investment
- Preston Railway Station entrance, off Fishergate
- Butler Street, Preston, PR1 8BN
- Corporation Street, Preston, PR1 2UP
- Chapel Street. Preston, PR1 8BU
- Lune Street, Preston, PR1 2NL
- Guild Hall Street, Preston, PR1 3PB
- Cannon Street, Preston, PR1 3NT
- Cheapside, Preston, PR1 2AR
- Glovers Court, Preston, PR1 3LS
- Birley Street, Preston, PR1 2QY
- Fishergate, Preston, PR1 2NJ
- Church Street, Preston, PR1 3DH