Preston Markets Project
Preston's much-anticipated new Market Hall opened its doors to customers for the first time in February 2018...
Preston Markets are a key part of the city’s culture and heritage and are very important to the city. As such, Preston City Council committed significant investment to provide a new, successful market and this ambitious project remains at the heart of city centre regeneration.
Key outcomes and improvements
- Brand new Market Hall - a modern glass and timber-clad pavilion style building, designed to complement the larger listed Victorian market canopy it is located under
- New paving and bespoke tables beneath the canopy - this space continues to operate as Outdoor and Secondhand Markets during the day. The flexible nature of this area enables it to be transformed in to an event and performance space in the evenings
- A Box Market created from upcycled shipping containers - built under the smaller Fish Market Canopy - completed the market providing an unique trading and shopping environment
- Phase 1 and 2 - Completed 2016 - Restoration of the Fish Market and 1875 Market canopies comprised refurbishment of the metalwork, redecoration and re-lighting
- Phase 3 - Completed February 2018 - Building of the new market hall under the restored 1875 Market Canopy and Box Market under the Fish Market canopy plus public realm work
- Phase 4 - Underway - Demolition of the old indoor market and car park
- Phase 5 - Construction of the landmark cinema, restaurant and car park complex on the site of the demolished indoor market.
Preston Market stall opportunities
A few stalls remain in the Market Hall and Box Market. If you are interested in becoming part of the new Preston Markets visit Preston City Council - New Preston Markets Trader Opportunities.
Map address for Preston Markets
Preston Markets, Earl Street, Preston, PR1 2JA.